Friday, October 24, 2008

Guacamole Green


(In college...)

Shortly after moving into my apartment in Bloomington, I went to buy paint. The tenants before must have been disgusting and had bad taste. Their existence needed to be erased, painted over. Easier said than done. Do you know how many colors are out there? Thousands! So I took home tons of samples and considered each one carefully: examining, picturing, reflecting. I had a system going until I realized they named their colors. Within one minute my mind had been made up: guacamole green. 

Purchased. Painted. Dried. Adored.

It was the most perfect room. This picture is of Karen sleeping in my bed. She tends to sleep all over the place, but every time she came over, she had at least a one minute siesta there. The room was huge, had a little roof patio outside the window, and was like a sanctuary. I miss it now more than ever.

(As a grown-up...)

When I picked up the keys to our new apartment today, I kind of lost my breath because I forgot how small my new room would be. I am so happy with the location and the building though, so I am concentrating on that. New York landlords are more strict, and I don't think I'll be painting this place because I don't want to paint it back. I will, however, be filling the walls with my art collection. I can concentrate on that for now. Maybe I'll try to lose a couple of pounds, too, so the room will seem bigger?

No comments: